WELCOME!!!




Check the following blog and become a fan!!

you can leave a comment to share your ideas!!!

It would be interesting to know your opinion!!





Friday, October 29, 2010

3rd Class at Intermediate English I

Today´s class was much better than the previous one because students were using the structure in different speaking and writing activities I developed.

The activity that went well was a television interview in which I asked the students to practice a conversation between a TV presenter and a doctor. It was about a new flu shot people were getting. It was very nice because I asked for volunteers to perform it in front of the class....and guess what....I had volunteers!!! At the end, the other students who did not participate in front of the class, chose the best group by giving claps to the best presentation. I liked that they were developing the roles (TV presenter and doctor) very well.

The activity that did not go so well was the warm-up activity because once again, it was interrupted by the late comers. Fortunately, I knew that it is not their fault to come late. I asked some students why they were coming late and they said that they have classes in the same building and that their professor finishes the class too late. I did not believe, but my tutor teacher went upstairs to see if that was true, and he saw that most of the students were still attending the class!! . Again, it took too much time because the ones that were just coming wanted to do the activity.

I noticed that the activity in which the students spoke more was when I asked them to discuss 10 questions I brought to the class. Some of the questions were:

-What has been your biggest fear?
-Who has been the person you have admired the most?
-Have you ever loved somebody forbidden?

I asked them to discuss these questions with a classmate and then, I asked them to share their answers. Something good is that they were giving reasons. For example, one student said that the person he has admired the most is his mother because she has played many roles in his life. She has been his mother and his best friend. He also said that because of the good relation they have, she has been everything for him.

I had planned to develop 4 activities and the warm-up (5 in total) but unfortunately, I just could develop 4 activities because I lost time in the warm-up. I thought that my tutor teacher was going to tell me something about it, but he told me that it is better to do few well developed activities in which students are going to learn and use the structure at the end of the class, than developing many activities in which students will do the things in a hurry and won´t be able to use the structure.

If I teach that lesson again, I will bring different activities in which the students will use the structure in different ways because in this class, they were practicing just speaking and writing. I noticed that they need to practice the other skills, too!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Lili, i can see that you had a better clas today. I like the television activity. It sounds very nice and i will try to use it with my students (LOL). I guess you are having a very good relationship with your students. I liked the way you worked this time. Congratulations Lili. Don't forget that you have the capacity to be a very nice teacher because you have been working the best you can till now. Congrats, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily it is funny because sometimes you bring less activities and then you need an extra one...and now you brought more and you couldn`t use them all....don`t worry use it for the next class...or period..?? It`s nice to see that this class was better than the last one...remember that the same thing happened to me...and also I had students that came late to the class....anyways continue teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher Lily, I have read that your class was very nice, even when the time management is the problem that we should take into consideration,I think we usually have problems with it. But I know it was a new experience. Keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claps for you lily!! Hey I can see that you had almos the same problem i had with the time; Something that I have always been afraid of is to finish my plan before the time that we have to cover and that's why I try to bring to the class extra activities, so if there is an inconvenience, you can continue with the normal development of the class.


    Good job lily!!

    ReplyDelete