WELCOME!!!




Check the following blog and become a fan!!

you can leave a comment to share your ideas!!!

It would be interesting to know your opinion!!





Thursday, July 29, 2010

TEACHING PRACTICUM AT INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH I.



The part of the lesson that I liked was the grammar explanation phase because the students were studying the use of "there is" and "there are". It was very nice because the students had studied this when they were taking Basic English. This helped them to reinforce what they are already knew about the topic. I was just presenting the grammar and they could remember most of it that is why they were even making sentences orally.

I think that the part that did not go so well was the presentation stage because just five students had the books, and they were suppossed to read a short paragraph in order to answer some questions. I think that in this case, we can ask them to make copies from the part of the book we are going to use (but be careful because it is the student´s responsibility to buy the books!).
Fortunately, as I explained before,they did not have problems with the grammar phase because that was something they already could work with.

I brought different pictures in order to help the students understand the content which was about the different kinds of houses (ville, cottage, mansion, ranch, etc.)and the things we find there.

The part that engaged them the most was the grammar phase because they were sharing all what they knew about the grammar being studied, and they were also providing examples about their homes.

The students were working in pairs because I asked to talk about the different homes, and they were also working in groups because as I said before few students had the books so, they were sharing them.

If I teach that lesson again, I will try to be sure if they already have the books in order to find a way to make them work on it because today, I had to make big groups.

This was my first class at the Intermediate English I, and I liked it!

4 comments:

  1. WOw Lili, as i can see you have been ejoying your work as teacher. Don't worry for making mistakes because this is just a process that we have to face.
    Remember that we have to encourage our students all the time to help them feel comfortable in the classroom.

    Don't pay attention to specific details that are not important. Be focued on the way your students feel confident and help them to be alert all the time especially at Grammar explanation time. GREAT JOB LILI!!! YOU INSPIRE ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH Lili!!! I'm surprised about the teaching skills you have. You are creative with the material you prepare for teaching, and it is something that Ss enjoy (pictures, charts, flashcars, etc) and you are an expert doing those kinds of materials. Something important when teaching is transmitting energy to the students; do it it helps a lot!!. Another thing is carrying a lot of activities to make them work, and in that way they won't waste time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your problem. I taught the same lesson and only 2 students had the book! It was awful!! But you're right, most of them remember the topic and are able to apply the structure in every-day conversations. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the other guys said, not all of the students have the book, and it makes the development to the class a little bit difficult because we have to look for the way in which students get involved.

    Lily I really appreciate your comment in my blog; you know, I am going to use some of the ideas you gave me. Let me tell you that I am going to use some of the activities that you did in the previous class because we our group we are going to start that topic.

    It is nice to see that your job is being so nice; I want to encourage you to continue being such a good practitioner.

    ReplyDelete